Thursday, September 30, 2010

Smiling on the Incline


and I mean INCLINE.  This past Saturday morning, I woke up at the crack of dawn to "suit up" for my first major hike...really ever.  I mean, nature is beautiful and exercise is awesome but hiking has always been, ehhhh...not so fun from my perspective.  The best part? The M&Ms found in the trail mix brought along. (I've later found out this is called "gorp" by the experienced outdoorsy folk). SO be it. I hike for the gorp.

But this time, I was hiking for the summit (views and company of course got me through and meant much more, but who get magnets that say "I hiked Mt. Washington with good company" ya know?)

But I did. And I wouldn't have gotten my suburban butt up 6,288 feet without the blood, sweat and tears that were shed (albeit, there was no blood - thank goodness, and no tears - although give it some time and they might have come).  But there was sweat, and doubt and trembling quads.  HOWEVER, there was also 20 questions.  A game which passes time in a miraculous fashion. Especially when played with Laura, who can discern the MOST abstract characters in order to take the win, time and time again (note: sharon stone is tricky).







yep, this is 3 hours into the trek and we still can't see the destination....

even Lucy was tired...










But we did it and it felt SO GOOD to get to the top.


(all pics thanks to Laura - the camera wouldn't fit in my fanny-pack.  that's right. Fanny-pack. no shame here folks. I hiked that mountain like it was 1985.)

So, #47 on my bucket list: CHECK.

No comments:

Post a Comment